Australia (the official name – the Commonwealth of Australia) can be named the smallest continent between the two oceans: the Pacific and the Indian one. But, actually, Australia is washed by 3 oceans. Australian capital is entitled Canberra. Australia is an incredibly large country, it has everything: mountains, desert areas, fertile regions etc. Population of this country is rather large 21 million. If to turn to etymology, Australia is a Latin-word, and it can be interpreted as “South Land”. The territorial division of Australia is rather interesting, it comprises of 6 states, 2 mainland territories and some other areas and each “piece of a land” has its own authorities. This country is a vivid example, how people, population can overcome the difficulties of nature, because Australia is mainly a desert.
Australia considered being the land of wallaroos, nature diversity and rapid economic development. Some of these statement are true, some not. Do you want o find out the truth
By the way, despite its unfavorable natural conditions, Australia can be proud of its natural diversity. Kangaroos live here together with koalas, emus, flying opossums and other rare animals and birds.
But, very often we write information, that can be found almost in any encyclopedia, I just will try to make an exception: so, the most interesting facts about Australia.
- Australian Christmas Holiday is in summer
- According to the statistic data: there are 9 sheep in Australia (by the way, for every person)
- Moreover, Australia is the biggest island in the world
- Tasmania is the smallest state among those 6 in Australia
- Lake Eyre is the hottest place in the whole Australia
- The highest temperature was reported in 1889 in Queensland (53 degrees above zero)
- There are different koalas in different parts of Australia
- Nowadays, koala belongs to the endangered animals, because people are chasing it for their fur
- Australia considered to be the smallest continent in the world
- More than 20 percent of Australians are smokers
- The most popular kinds of sports in Australia are: golf, aerobics and tennis
- 3 percent of Australian population work in the field of tourism
- Australians pay great attention to the development of agriculture